The Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO) is the main body representing the Retirement Community sector in the UK.
ARCO was formed in September 2012 by its founder members
Our members include both private and not-for-profit members, comprising about half of the Retirement Community sector.
ARCO continually strives to:
- Promote confidence in the sector, ensuring that all members are providing a high quality service to their residents. We achieve this through ARCO’s Standards and Compliance Framework.
- Raise awareness of the Retirement Community model amongst older people and stakeholders alike – ensuring that all older people are aware of the variety of housing options available to them; and that policy makers fully understand the ways in which this type of housing provision can meet the lifestyle, health and social care needs of our ageing population.
- Increase the volume and quality of expertise within the sector and share this with members, continually investing in research to better understand and promote the socio-economic value of the housing with care model.
ARCO's Mission Statement
ARCO believes that meaningful, long-lasting partnerships and commitments are at the heart of solving the challenge of meeting the housing, care, and support needs of our ageing population. We emphatically believe that older people should:
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Be valued for their contributions to society and to their communities.
- Have what they need to be happy and healthy, including access to good support, care, and health services.
- Be enabled and supported to live independently for as long as possible.
- Be empowered and free to make informed choices.